Sometimes we need to move the website to the new domain, This may be due to any reason, Either You need to re-brand your Website or need new URLs due to old URLs get Search engine penalized. The reason might be anything but there are a few steps involved in making it happen.
We will see here how to change the Domain name of the website without loosing SEO in one of most simple ways. A few days back only I have changed one of my sports blog domain from iplt20.co to Isportsleague.com. That time I have searched a lot over the internet as I don’t want to loose the SEO traffic. Finally, I have done with most easy ways and changed the domain from one Url to another.
(Note- This post is only for WordPress user only. As I have tested only on WordPress)
Here we will see the same ways and some other ways also which you can use it.
How To Chang the Domain name through cPanel
- Login credentials data for your cPanel
- Login credentials for WordPress
- Backup of Website
Step 1: Before You Start
Most important things before starting anythings you have to take the backup of the entire website. You can do it anyways either though any plugin or through cPanel. Some plugin which will help you in taking the backup is VaultPress, BackupBuddy, BackWPup, or WordPress backup to Dropbox.
To take the Backup through cPanel you have to first login to your cPanel then go to Software tab and on the Software tab, you will find one name Softaculous apps installer.
Then select your WordPress and after that click on backup button next to your old ID
Note – In This, I have Already moved from Iplt20.co to Isportsleague.com so it is not available here. but can do it in same ways at the same time take backup through any plugin also.
Step 2: Moving your WordPress Site
Changing Domain name through cPanel in most easy way only applicable (as per my test) if new and old domain both on same server. If both on different server then take other way to move the website from old domain to new domain, that is downloading the file and Data and re upload on different server.
Coming to main point i.e How To Move WordPress Site to New Domain or URLs through cPanel. To do this follow the below procedure.
- Login into your cPanel Account.
- Add your new Domain first.
- Select the Softaculous apps installer or open the WordPress Apps.
- Select the Website link.
- Next to Website Link Clone option is Given click on that.
- Select the New Domain Name.
- Done you have moved all the Website database to new Domain.
This is one of easy method and hassle free way i found to move the website from Old Domain to new Domain.
Step 3: Redirect the Visitor to new Domain from Old Domain
To do this also we have lots of option as editing the .htaccess file or using the redirect plugin in the WordPress. But, Let’s see the one of easy way to do without so much techie knowledge.
How to Set Up a Redirect
- Log into cPanel.
- Under Domains, click the Redirects icon.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select which type of redirect is to be used.
- Permanent 301 is a redirect that will update the visitor’s bookmarks and direct search engines to the new site.
- Temporary 302 is a redirect that will redirect the visitor or search engine but will not update the bookmark, and search engines will continue to index to the original page.
- From the “http://(www.)” drop-down menu, choose the domain name you would like to redirect.
- If you would like to redirect a single page or directory, you can use the adjacent text field to enter the name of the folder or file.
- In the “redirects to” field, enter the full URL of the page to which you will be redirecting.
Note: You must enter the protocol (e.g. http://, https:// or ftp://) as well in order for the domain URL to be accepted.
- Select one of the following www redirection options to dictate whether or not the domain will be redirecting:
- Only redirect with www. only redirects visitors that type www. as part of the URL.
- Redirect with or without www. redirects all visitors regardless of if they use www. or not.
- Do Not Redirect www. will not redirect visitors that use www. as part of the URL.
- Clicking the Wild Card Redirect option allows users to set up a redirect to the same file on a new destination.
- With Wild Card Redirect, www.oldsite.com/about.html will redirect to www.newsite.com/about.html
- Without Wild Card Redirect, www.oldsite.com/about.html will redirect to www.newsite.com only
- Click Add to create the redirect as specified.
Note – If You want to redirect the entire site with every link you can click on With Wild card. this will redirect all and every contents and no need to do manually every url.
Now when visitors type the exact URL that you specified, they will be redirected to the target site you assigned.
Step: 3 Notifying Google Search Engine About the Change
Login to your Google Webmaster Tools account to submit a change of address. Basically click on your site and look at the left menu under configuration. This allows you to notify Google about your new site and the transfer. Yes, you have to verify your new site, so go ahead and do it.
In This way you Can easily Move the Website From Old Domain to new Domain.
How To Chang the Domain name through Plugin.
We will See this too ASAP till then Enjot